Crews investigating fire at vacant Shonnard Street home
SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- Investigators are looking into what sparked a fire at a vacant home in Syracuse.
Crews were called to 309 Shonnard Street just before 3 p.m. Saturday. Officials say it appears the fire started in the basement, where there was a pile of debris at the bottom of the stairs. They say a quick response stopped the fire from getting too big.
"The fire was out, probably within three to four minutes when the first companies arrived. Very, very quick attack. Not a huge volume of fire. We were very lucky to get here as quickly as we did,” said Syracuse Fire Department Deputy Chief Dave Reeves.
Officials say no one was hurt in the fire and that the home had been vacant for a few years.