Updated 12/04/2012 11:05 PM
Oswego parents demand more information about student accused of sexual assault
Concerned parents are speaking out about a student in the Oswego City School District who they've labeled a "sexual predator." A nine-year-old student is accused of sexually assaulting another student back in September of 2011. That incident happened at the Kingsford Park Elementary School. Now parents are worried that aggressor will be moved to another school in the district. Tuesday night they asked school officials for answers, but as our Candace Hopkins reports, few details are being provided.
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
OSWEGO, N.Y. -- In February of 2012, Kingsford Park Elementary School parents were issued a letter about an "alleged incident of inappropriate sexual contact" between two students. The case was referred to family court and the alleged crime, if committed by an adult, would result in charges of criminal sex act in the first degree and endangering the welfare of a child.
The court results were never made public. But now parents like Emily Miner want to know if that student could end up in another school within the district.
"When something like this happens, we worry. We worry if our kids get a scratch. As parents, we should be entitled to some form of specific steps that are going to be taken," said Miner.
Miner and others spoke out during Tuesday's Board of Education Meeting. They are concerned about rumors that the accused student could be placed at the Fitzhugh Park School.
Meanwhile, two families are suing the district, claiming the child also sexually assaulted both of their sons. he combination of those lawsuits and privacy laws have kept the district quiet.
"I wish I could tell you everything I know. I wish I could settle the concerns that exist in the school and within the community about what things we have in place not only for individual students, but for the school itself. We have provided training for all of our staff, we brought in representatives from child advocacy last year, we've brought in representatives from the district attorney's office," said Oswego Superintendent Bill Crist.
But Crist's statement wasn't enough for Miner.
"We aren't a group of people with pitch forks,” Miner said. “We are just trying to keep our kids safe, as well as yours, and we do feel like as parents, we deserve something we're not getting."
Miner also started a petition to keep the student out of the district's schools. So far, 200 people have signed it. And she says her next step will be meeting with the superintendent.
Some parents also spoke out in defense of the district, saying they understand why officials can't say more about this situation.