North Main Street revitilazation project
In an effort to continue work on one of its major roadways, the City of Elmira is applying for help. The North Main Street project is in its second and third phases. YNN’s Crystal Cranmore has the latest on the multi-million dollar venture.
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
ELMIRA, N.Y. -- Elmira Mayor Sue Skidmore said, “Safer, prettier and more inviting.”
That’s the goal of a new $5.2 million project.
Officials in the City of Elmira want to revitalize North main Street between north 5th and north 2nd streets - an area that is plagued with broken concrete, asphalt and empty buildings. The plan entails adding more lighting to the road, greenery and sidewalks.
Matthew Hourihan, senior engineer for the City of Elmira, said, “It really provides safe routes for pedestrians and cyclists and connects the educational corridor with the downtown and gives a safer feel for students and residents."
The plan also includes adding a roundabout near 3rd and Main streets.
Mayor Skidmore said,“It will give pedestrians a landing space so that they can get across the street. With the triangle, there are five roads that meet there. So hopefully this will be the solution.”
The latest parts of the project come just two years after the city completed the initial phase - a $2 million overhaul that extends from Washington Avenue to West 5th Street.
Mayor Skidmore said this is only the beginning to a much larger development plan for the city.
She said, "It's going to be what the rest of the city should look like, start on the outside and work our way in."
At this time, the city is just in the application phase of the funding process. They hope to receive 80 percent of the money from the state, and the city will cover the remaining 20 percent. Work on North Main Street can begin as early as 2014 once the city gets the green light.